Monday, January 30, 2017

Thoughts for a fast Sunday by Andrea

I read something about fast Sunday that really stood out to me. 

Isaiah 58:6-8

"Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward."

Rereward is an old word that means rear guard.  No one is left behind.  I would love to have the Lord as the rear guard of my family.

This Sunday I want to help (physically 

      I guess I really like the thought that the Savior will be there for me, to help gather up my little  ones, to pick up the pieces for me when I fall short.   I want that blessing!  So maybe on a fast Sunday I can reach or out to someone with a note of encouragement, or invite someone to dinner--reach outside of myself, to "undo the heavy burdens," "deal my bread to the hungry," to "bring the poor that are cast out to my own house."  Then the Lord will fulfill His promise to me, that He will gather up my little ones , that they are not left behind--to be my rear guard. 

3 comments:

  1. The gospel library uses the word "rearward" rather than rereward. But it is rereward in my hard copy with the footnote "or rearguard."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea I think those are some of the most beautiful words ever written about fasting! Don't they help us feel excited about fasting! What a wonderful thought - to live so that the Lord can be our rearguard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fasting is very powerful and connects us with heaven. Work for the dead also taps into that power (my family's comments). This scripture really touched my heart today. Almost two weeks ago, I was fasting with Megan (not on a Fast Sunday) to support her fast, and at the last second before starting I felt that I should fast for our I800a situation and the adoption. It was the day after my fast that the original application was rejected, and then this week the second was rejected. I'm on my third day of waiting to see if they will rescind the rejection, which is quite unlikely anyway. I find it interesting that Jared brought up the family history work, because three days before the first rejection I completed the sealing for one of Jared's mom's ancestors and felt that she would help pave the way for Andrea to be sealed to us. So here we are, and together with our scripture about tribulation, I can feel that the Lord will help us to work through this and He will strengthen us and, most of all, be the rearword of my little family. Surely He has not forgotten about our little Andrea, and she will not be left behind. Thank you for the inspiring words today.

    ReplyDelete